Bad Guy Jim Scharphorn - Bad Guy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
futureherpbreeder
Thumbs down Jim Scharphorn - Bad Guy

I bought 4 cages from Jim Scharphorn. When I reported problems to him he was rude, billigerent, and not only laughed at my problems and called me names on several occasions, but refused to remedy the situation and accused me of smoking pot and cussed at me.

Upon opening the boxes and going straight to assembling the cages, I noticed some of the holes were countersunk and some were not. The ones that were not (just had pilot holes) bulged at the screw site when I assembled the cage. This upset me and made me think there was something wrong here. I didn't want my brand new expensive cages to have bulges all over them. I also noticed that I was running out of screws and screw covers was only partway through cage #2. While assembling cage #1 I also noticed bad indents on the bottom panel that didn't concern me as much since they were on the bottom.

I called to talk to Jim and his wife answered and didn't understand what I meant about the countersunk holes and said I would have to talk to Jim. I missed his return call but he also emailed me so I began corresponding that way.

Below you will find the emails between us. He thinks I am too picky about wanting my new cages to be perfect, and his customer service is the worst I ever have encountered in my 32 years.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
bliss
Post all emails and pics; also, did you notify Jim of this thread?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
futureherpbreeder
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:46 PM
To: Jim Scharphorn
Subject: Non countersunk holes

Here is how all but 6 holes came which caused damage to the first 2 cages.
(picture enclosed)
Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
Date: Wed, Sep 15, 2010 2:51 pm
Subject: Non countersunk holes
To: <joshuaj08@hotmail.com>

Sorry your not happy, Just to let you know you stand alone by not liking them.
I have sold about 1000 cages.
You could have purchased that cage assembled if you do not like the screw holes.
And none of the parts are counter sunk, they only have a pin hole to let you know were to put your screw.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.predatorbassbaits.com
www.pvccages.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: Non countersunk holes

I do like them a lot actually I am impressed with the quality. What I am upset by is no where was I informed I would need to buy a drill and a countersink bit and drill counter sink holes to put them together. There was pre drilled holes as well as some countersink holes pre drilled on 2 panels so I assumed that all I had to do was screw in the screws.

What I am saying is that when I started assembling them and realized that the countersunk holes were limited to 2 panels and no matter how careful I was, installing some if the other holes caused damage to the cages.

Also now that I look in the last box I am missing half the screws I need as well as half the black screw covers. One panel has deep scratches which r on the bottom panel so not a big deal but worth mentioning.

If u like I can take additional pics of the 2 panels u drilled counter sink holes in and the ones u didn't do u can see where I was confused.

Again, I love the cages but its the assembly issues I am upset about because now 2 cages have damage and I don't have the materials to finish them.

Thanks
Josh

To: joshuaj08@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Non countersunk holes
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:29:52 -0400

Man I tell you if you have panels with counter sunk holes then the delivery guy did it, We drill them holes from the inside out so how could one get counter sunk ? and a screw is never used, but only packed in the box as the very last thing we do.
I cut every piece from a sheet of plastic per order I do not have the parts sitting here waiting for someone to order and then I throw them in a box.
You do not need a drill to counter sink them at least if you do then you will be the first again.
Sorry you were missing screws, maybe the delivery guy has them from when he counter sunk the holes, LOL
How many you short I will get them out ?
It is a drywall screw I am sure you have some.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:15 PM
To: PVC Cages
Subject: RE: Non countersunk holes

Jim,

1. I don't appreciate being laughed at, I take this matter seriously and expect you to as well.
2. For almost $1000 I paid you, I expect to be taken seriously and my problems addressed.
3. I am not lying about the holes, I sent you pictures of the actual holes and the countersunk holes (drilled by a bit with a countersinker) that were in 2 of the panels when I received them, and will send you more pics since you don't seem to understand what I am saying.
4. I didn't even own a countersink bit until after I sent you the first email with pics about this problem which I can show via the receipt for the bit I just purchased to finished these cages. Perhaps since your wife was the one who drilled the holes she can explain the countersunk ones.
5. If I am missing parts, it isn't my responisbility to provide them, rather yours to either a. send them to me or b. reimburse me for the ones I will have to buy
6. Even if I were to simply screw them in and then counter sink them by hand, the cage still gets warped from the simple act of screwing them in.
7. The holes that were drilled should have been bigger to prevent the warping.

I only have 10 screws left after assembling 1.5 cages and am 47 black screw covers short.

I don't know if you are meaning to seem condescending or rude, but that is the way it is coming off to me. I am very happy with the promptness of filling my order and shipping, and aside from the obvious problem of warping at screw sites which has damaged 2 of the cages I expect to be in perfect condition when I just purchased them, am highly satisfied with the quality and construction of the cages, they will make a very nice display for my prized GTPs. I simply want to come to some sort of arrangement to remedy this situation. I am doing extra work on the remaining two cages to ensure no warping occurs but would like to know what you can do about the other two that are now damaged and the pieces I paid for and am missing.

I hope we can come to an agreement,
Josh

We did not counter sink the holes, we do not own a counter sink bit.
I am not laughing at you, I am actually quiet upset over this and sorry but I am getting pissed off so I might sound rude.
I asked you how many screws your short and I would send them,
I mentioned they were drywall screws that you probably have just so you did not have to wait on screws so you could get the cages up and running.
How many screws do you have in each cage ?

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:10 PM
Subject: Scratches

Here are the scratches I mentioned (PICTURE ENCLOSED)

Sorry about the scratches but I stand by that they were not counter sunk, Not to be rude but there is no way in hell they were.!!!
But besides that, what is the problem with that ? The pic you sent with the counter sunk hole and no screw in it, it is suppose to have one in that spot.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:16 PM
Subject: Drill bits

Here is the drill bit with countersink I bought which is the same type of bit you used to drill the 6 holes in the 2 panels I am talking about next to a drill bit like the one you used to drill the rest if the 22 panels.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone (PICTURE ENCLOSED)

I do not own a counter sink drill bit.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:47 PM
Subject: RE: Drill bits

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Countersink.htm

Here is a link to how holes are countersunk. So when you say I don't need a drill bit to create the hole in which to countersink my screws you are 100% incorrect. I am seriously getting ticked off at being called a liar. Plus now you are saying you don't own a countersink bit and that they should have those 6 countersink holes you drilled, then you DO expect your customers to drill countersink holes after they receive your product contrary to what you said.

You said you don't own a countersink drill bit, well then your wife must because she drilled the holes and 6 of them came to my door straight out of the box countersunk. I guarantee it wasn't the delivery guy bored opening packages drilling countersink holes to get his jollies off cuz it sure the F wasn't me and I sure the F didn't damage them on purpose, I wanted them set up and my GTPs in them tonight.

If you ship them out not countersunk then that's just bad craftsmanship because this material obviously expands and needs countersink holes drilled. In that case this should have been step # 1. in your assembly instructions: # 1. Drill countersink holes at pilot hole sites.

Listen man, before this gets out of hand, it's not like I'm asking for anything unreasonable like a $500 refund or something, I just want the panels that got damaged replaced so I can have my brand new cages be undamaged and if you want the damaged ones back, you are welcome to them once I receive the replacements. I will obviously have to drill countersink holes in every one of your pilot holes before attempting to assemble them again, but that's fine, I really like the cages, they are exactly what I want.

Thanks,
Josh

EMAIL FROM JIM:

Dude, Kiss my fucking ass, were done.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM JIM:

P.S. when fedex picks up your damaged parts I will send you new parts when I received the $ fedex gives you and just so you know they will not be counter sunk my wife and I do not do that , we do not own a counter sink bit.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM JIM:

Just so you know, I never once called you a liar, you have called me one and my wife one.
Your cages did not ship out of here with counter sunk holes and never will be in the future, that is to delicate of a job and should only be done with a machine so they are straight and sunk the correct depth, the plastic is too thin on the dado edges to do it by hand. ( it can be done but I am not going to do it ) no one has ever complained about it this way and I have been shipping them this way for 4 years now.
My wife can barely put a pilot hole in straight let alone know what a counter sink bit is.
Sorry your one out of a thousand that is too damn picky and is not happy.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM ME:

Here are a few examples of where you called me a liar:
1. "I stand by that they were not counter sunk, Not to be rude but there is no way in hell they were.!!!"
2. "none of the parts are counter sunk, they only have a pin hole to let you know were to put your screw"
3. "Your cages did not ship out of here with counter sunk holes and never will be in the future, that is to delicate of a job and should only be done with a machine so they are straight and sunk the correct depth, the plastic is too thin on the dado edges to do it by hand."

This was in reply to my complaint that 6 holes were pre-counter sunk, so you can clearly see where you were insinuating I was lying.

Here is an example of how you have contradicted yourself:
1. "You do not need a drill to counter sink them at least if you do then you will be the first again."
2. "We did not counter sink the holes, we do not own a counter sink bit."
3. "Your cages did not ship out of here with counter sunk holes and never will be in the future, that is to delicate of a job and should only be done with a machine so they are straight and sunk the correct depth, the plastic is too thin on the dado edges to do it by hand."

Didn't you just say you don't need a drill to counter sink, yet you said you didn't counter sink because you don't have a counter sink bit and then again you say it has to be done with a machine not by hand????????????

Seriously, you have made an enemy where you didnt need to.

EMAIL FROM JIM:

To reply to your #'s I still do not see were I called you a liar or insinuated.
# 1. yup I am telling you no way they were counter sunk.
# 2. yup they are not counter sunk
# 3. they still are not counter sunk
# 4. I never said you counter sunk them, I I said the delivery guy must have because my wife and I did not do it.
We do not own a counter sink bit.

So long story short, If I did not do it and my wife did not do it and you did not do it then it must have been the delivery guy's because we are the only ones that touched the cages.
What a thing to argue about, who cares who put them in, I am telling you we do not do it and never will so get over it.

Your just trying to be a picky jerk.
File a claim with fedex for your damaged parts, I would have done it for you but not a chance anymore.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

WHEN I FILED A CLAIM ON PAYPAL I GOT THIS EMAIL FROM JIM:

God luck with that, I knew that was coming.
Watch what happens next......

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM ME:

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:28 PM
Subject: RE: paypal dispute

Wasn't even planning on it remotely until your DUDE KISS MY FUCKING ASS WERE DONE. Just wanted the panels replaced and the missing parts. Seriously.

EMAIL FROM JIM:

Dude, that is the way they are shipped, no counter sunk holes, that is the way I sell them.
No one else counter sinks the holes they just screw them together.
That is one of my biggest down falls is the non counter sunk but like I said I am not going to do it.
Your just too damn picky.
If you would not have called me a liar I may have worked with you but you are calling me the liar so you got what you got.
How did you like your out come on paypal ?

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM ME:

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:53 PM
Subject: RE: paypal dispute

I have the right to be picky when I spend $950. Besides, I don't consider expecting a brand new item to be in perfect condition. I took the rest out of the box and looked all of them over and 4 of them have that same gouge pattern on them thank god it's on the bottom, but still it sux to get a new item damaged. And I am seriously not lying about the holes man that's too fuckin weird to just make up, I was so stoked to get these today and so disappointed when they started warping when I screwed them like I was supposed to.

Then to realize I don't even have all the screws and covers to finish them. All I was askin was the panels replaced and missing parts sent. I can even find some drywall screws, but there's nothin I can do to find those exact screw hole covers, besides, they were supposed to be included in the price.

Listen, I will even pay you $100 to replace the sheet of material it will take to replace the 10 panels that warped when I screwed them together. I just want them to be in perfect condition, I spent a lot more money than we can afford having 3 kids and both of us going to college full time to have them bulge at the screw sites (the screw covers don't fit right on them cuz of it either).

Your little remarks about paypal isn't neccesary, nor is your cussing at me. I am trying to work this out with you but you got rude and insulting and really ticked me off so I didn't think I was gonna get anywhere with you so I thought to try to solve something there.

EMAIL FROM JIM:

I told you I did not counter sink the holes and you said we did.
If I did counter sink and just forgot to do all the rest of your cages I would have been MAN I am so sorry for that, Can I buy you a bit and give you something for your time.
Again sorry about that.
But NO I flat out told you we do not counter sink the parts and you said well your wife did and she must have a bit.
Those parts would be more then $100
Shipping would be half that.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: Drill bits

Sick of this conversation I just want the parts replaced

EMAIL FROM JIM:

File a damage claim with fedex.
I insured the cages. just be prepared for them to pick up the damaged parts.
You probably will not get anything out of them but I could have, but not for the parts you say are screwed up from screwing, only the damaged bottoms.
You never did tell me how many screws are in a cage and how many your short.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
futureherpbreeder
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:21 PM

I guess I figured you would know how many screws go in a cage since you have sold 1,000 of them. I need 64 at least to finish them and don't forget the screw covers, I re-counted cuz I don't remember now how many I was short, and it's 33.

Maybe the 2 panels that had counter sink holes were part of a customer return and that customer drilled them ? I can't explain it because it happened before I got them and we both know its ridiculous to say the delivery guy did it. But whatever, I bought a bit and am making sure the other 2 cages don't warp when I screw them together. That is actually quite easy to do and doesn't cause damage like you thought it would, so perhaps you should invest in a counter sink bit to improve the quality of your cages.

So I'm one in 1,000, so what, my satisfaction should still be important, I get better customer service at Wal-mart and I'm one in 1,000,000,000 there.

I waited YEARS to buy brand new cages and my fiance finally said she would buy them for my birthday this year so my hopes were pretty high for them. But I guess I will just call it a loss and post my experience with you on Fauna and Kingsnake including the very rude and unprofessional emails from you. I am the customer, my satisfaction should be your #1 priority.

I would have bought from you again, I love the cages, but now, I can not say I would recommend you after the poor customer service and lack of proper prep work on them.

I will be expecting the screws and covers in the mail within the next week so I can complete construction on your cages.

Josh Carlson

EMAIL FROM JIM:

So lets see, you threaten me with Fauna and kingsnake and every were else.
I knew that would be your next deal so enjoy and have fun with that.
I never received a return cage because people are not as picky as you are.
You have no clue how many screws your short, is it 64 or 33 ?
Look in your bubble wrap I am sure you will find your missing screws, people have done that before.
You better look hard because I am not sending you anything.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM JIM:

To: joshuaj08@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:30:13 -0400

P.S. seeing you do not recall how many screws it is, that is probably the same dang thing with those counter sunk holes, you probably do not recall doing those as well.
You’re a delusional person.
And also I make my cages the way I make them, I have many many happy customers.
And I am not going to change the way I offer them so get over it.
I do get a jerk once a year and now my quota is filled again for this year..

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

EMAIL FROM ME:

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:49 PM

I said I didn't recall how many SCREW COVERS I needed after the 20 dang emails between us so I recounted them to be sure. I said 64 SCREWS and 33 SCREW COVERS re read it if you like.

How old are you seriously? I have never encountered such an unprofessional person, calling me names and insulting me as well as cussing at me when it is your fault the cages came with the different types of holes, take some responsibility for real. And now refusing to send the parts you left out after I paid you $950 for these cages? Unbelievable.

I am not threatening you with Fauna and Kingsnake, it is a statement of fact and your potential future customers have a right to know and I have the right to share.

I was suggesting it as a courtesy that you should consider counter sinking the holes, not to be rude but to prevent any future customers from being dissatisfied.

Apparently there are quite a few things lost in translation by corresponding this way instead of via phone.

And its interesting how every time I talk to you your story changes, which is it 1000 happy customers or one very unsatisfied one a year????? Very shady....

Josh Carlson

EMAIL FROM JIM:

Dude, You keep accusing me of something we did not do.
This is why I am cussing at you and calling you names.
Now you are accusing me of leaving parts out, so again check with your delivery guy because who ever put those counter sunk holes in your 2 panels must have the screws and caps your missing.
If you would not have started the accusing that we did something we said we did not do I would have helped you resolve your disappointment but when you’re a jackass you will get nothing.
Go smoke another joint maybe it will help you remember that you are wrong.
Enjoy complaining about me on Fauna.
You seem to be the one to not recall a few things not me, I have been honest and up front this whole time.

If you contact me again I will file a harassment complaint.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM ME:

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:51 PM

You said you would send the missing parts now you are saying you won't and threatening me with harassment charges for asking for them. Bad business.

And ps the holes came that way no amount of lying and name calling is gonna change that.

Get over yourself and have a nice life.

Josh Carson

EMAIL FROM JIM:

LOL, the holes did not come that way.
Maybe your fiancé was trying to be nice and put the cages together for you before you got home and found out it was to much for her to do so she put it back in the box.
I am telling you there is no way in hell you got those panels with counter sunk holes in them.
Why would I lie about a stupid thing ?
You do not believe me so I will not work with you.
Now about the screws, if you came up with a # of missing screws that made sense then I could understand a mistake but your #'s do not add up
So I am NOW calling you a liar and am saying you are lying about this whole deal.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM ME:

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:43 PM

Big surprise. You asked for a number so I counted and gave you one and now you refuse to send them. Wtf ever dude.

I was here personally when they arrived and I opened them and I noticed it when I was putting them together. I'm not imagining it there were several people here who saw it too.

Maybe your wife started assembling them then remembered they were getting shipped disassembled. I don't give a f how or why but they came that way and I'm not gonna say they didn't just to appease you so you send me the parts you left out.

That's your responsibility to make sure I get all the parts I paid for. Just send the screws and covers like you agreed and leave me alone I've had enough of your abuse.

EMAIL FROM JIM:

Date: Thu, Sep 16, 2010 5:57 pm
Subject: Drill bits
To: <joshuaj08@hotmail.com>

If I ship a assembled cage it is chemically welded and has no screws in it.
Again you accuse me of something I do not do.

You have quit the nerve to accuse me of so many things you know nothing about.
I never have had the pleasure to laugh so hard at someone until you came along...

Have all your friends join you on fauna..... you are getting nothing.
I do not believe that you are missing anything, I think your just trying to be a jerk.
Order your screw caps from www.outwater.com go to the store and get some 1" screws.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

EMAIL FROM ME:

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:07 PM

I didn't accuse anything I suggested that MAYBE that's what happened trying to figure this out. Thanks for another email insulting me that I can share.

Sounds like I'm not the only one you treat so poorly as per some interesting threads on Fauna.

EMAIL FROM JIM:

Well join them, you deserve to be in company with them.

Thank you,
Jim Scharphorn

www.pvccages.com

Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
futureherpbreeder
I AM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE ALL THERE AND IN ORDER. Next I will post pictures

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
futureherpbreeder
Bulges caused by screwing cages together as directed.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Southern Wolf
Dont suppose you have any pics of the countersunk panels right out of the box?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
futureherpbreeder
2 types of holes in the panels upon arrival
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
futureherpbreeder
closeup of one of the holes that was already countersunk
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
futureherpbreeder
One of the screw sites that warped when screwed as directed
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!