Shed Skin - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Shed Skin

we're having the first rains in months so I was checking the snakes activity level and caught Autumn, my oldest, largest boa, finishing her shed. She'll be 23 this year, she only sheds a couple times a year. I love how you can see the pattern on the shed...

Keep up the fight to keep our snakes!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
~Just Curious~
Wow! What a big ol' gal she must be!
Very nice shed and such a neat pic too, I always love it when you get some pattern like that~

Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
ShadowAceD
That's awesome, April.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Sweet! I'll have to show you a pic of my big girl MJ's shed next time she drops one. I have always admired how well the pattern shows up on them.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
thanks for the nice comments.
She's close to 8' last time I measured her with a string. Besides the photo taken above I did my best to dry it out laying flat. The shed measured 9'3"

Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
mxracer4life
My older girl "Chloe", she died at an estimated age of 21 years, she was just at 10ft. I use to take her sheds, save them back and place one on the side of the road in front of my house. It's fun to watch people walk by or ride by on there bicycle and see that shed. You had to be there.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
I know that's done out of fun...but just think for a minute...can you see how that adds to the abundance of fear anf hysteria that the media throws on TV all the time?

Just saying, intentional or not, all these little things add to the irration beliefs surrounding these animals. Something to think on.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
mxracer4life
I can see your point. Its not something I do anymore, as I stated she passed away. I didn't think of looking at it that way, so I didn't tell the whole story. I live in a very small town, actually considered a village. There is a "myth" here of a chicken snake over 10ft long. I used to use these skins to keep this alive, as the whole place really believes there is a wild chicken snake this big. The story is probably 50-60 years old. That is whats funny about it.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Yeah I didn't mean to sound like I was getting on you. I think we've all contributed to the irrational ideas people have about our little friends. Back in the day in Cali seeing Boa around peoples necks at public events and grocery stores wasn't an uncommon thing to see.

If only we knew then what we'd be up against today.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Snakesitter
Now that is a *great* photo, April! And 23...well done!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!