• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

60 days...time to cut eggs or still wait???

Robert Walker

---------------
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
409
Points
0
Location
USA
Hi Fauna,

Everyone is always so helpful here, that I figured I better ask some of your your thoughts. I have 2 clutches that are at 60 days as of today. Tiny clutches, but clutches none the less. They have been at 87 degrees. No sign of pipping.

Picture #1: Pied (2 eggs) (you can see if have been battling fungus with anti-fungal spray, and had to cut out a 3rd egg that went bad)
Picture #2: Albino (3 eggs)

What would you do?
Thank you in advance!!
Robert
 

Attachments

  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 262
I cut all of mine on day# 54 so I'd say, "Cut!!". Good luck with your odds!!!
 
Thank you!

Thanks Matt & Danny for responding.

I did it, I cut them all open. First time cutting, first eggs, first for a lot, but HAPPY!

2 pieds and 3 Albinos. Everyone of them moves in the egg and all looked developed.

Here is my super novice question...
Now what?

I realize leave them in the egg to absorb the yolk and they will come out on their own.

1. Do I put them back in the incubator (87 degrees) just like before until I look in there and see them crawling around?
2. About how long do you think it should take to come out by themselves? 2 days, a week?

The pieds are big and at the surface of the egg. One of the albinos looks fairly small and still in a good amount of yolk.
THANK YOU!
Robert
 

Attachments

  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 261
Put them back into the incubator and they should come out in a few days to a week or so.

Great odds ! congrats I am in the middle of my long wait. 25 days today on my first clutch.
 
What a GREAT first experience!!! Congrats!! :D

As Ryan said, just put them back in the incubator, just as you had them. Since it's already day# 60, I'd be surprised if they're in their eggs for more than a couple days. Then you can show off some more pics!
 
Thanks Ryan

Deal, they are back in the incubator just like before now. I appreciate the help form everyone, Fauna community rocks!

Waiting is the worst, and I know what 25 days into it feels like now. GOOD LUCK!
Robert
 
Thanks everyone for helping out, I appreciate it! This little victory of success is only the result of everyone else like yourselves sharing information with me, so thank you!
Robert
 
Congratulations! Cutting for the first time is a bit unnerving ( I did it just a few days ago) but it is very easy and you really hit the jack pot!! :?party: Give us some pics when they exit the eggs.
 
Fantastic odds, man! And congrats on what appear to be nice, healthy babies!

For future reference, though: You're incubating at ~2 degrees lower than what most people do. This is completely fine! However, it means your clutch will take longer to incubate than most people's, so going 60 days without pipping is normal. The reason I'm mentioning this is because (1) it seems a lot of people aren't aware of this and (2) I'd hate to see someone cut eggs way too early and hurt the babies.

Not being critical! Just an FYI.
 
Krystal - Before I put the eggs in the incubator I "tried" to figure out the correct temp to set the incubator at. Almost everything I read said 89 like you mentioned. I then remember a thread here about people using 87 instead and that their babies absorbed more yolk and ended up with bigger babies.

I agree, I think I will be changing it to 89 on future clutches. THANK YOU for your response!

I think once the babies are out of their eggs, I will weigh them, post their weights on Fauna and let you guys tell me if that is a normal, better or worse weight having used 87. - Robert
 
Back
Top