• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Boy do people like to talk crap on KS.....

Re: hmmm...

Golden Gate Geckos said:
Well, I can remember a time when I did not know what those "bubbles" were, and at least the response was to get it to a VET! The reply could have been something like, "Get a needle and pop it!"

I wasn't supposed to pop them?


:D
 
I just read the thread over at Kingsnake and can understand why you rattled some cages, you were a little mean (not realy mean, but can't think of a good word for it), but on the other hand so were they a little.

Lots of people (including me) keep thier geckos in groups, there isn't anything wrong with it, as long as you know what your doing.
 
NO!!! OMG WHAT DID YOU DO! You should have gotten a razor (preferably a modeling knife) and carefully cut them off!
 
its too bad

That KS isnt' what it used to be, i've been reading stuff on there 4 years ago and now i'm back. It really helped me out when i first started out.

And i think it really does need experienced people like Brian, dan, Xelda et all there to hold it together. And I know how you feel GregMM, i found your posts on the mean side but whatever.

Keep in mind a lot of them are kids, at least younger than me (22). You're all adults here but the kids need sympathetic, calm advice as well, otherwise we'll just end up with a million dead geckos.

When people have dumb questions on KS i tell them to read the sponsor pages, dunno if it works.
 
my founder male hyneeglow has a bubble like that.... what do i do... cuz im not getting that close to something like that on a hyneeglow .......that could be a carastrophy or at minimum really gross
 
Robin

Squeeze it and see if it pops. If it pops like a zit life is good. If it doesn't pop the gecko will be ridiculed by all the other geckos for that giagantic boil it has. Kinda like gecko junior high school :)

Terry
 
arrrghhhh!!

Well, I see KS deleted my recent post on whether or not I should continue sponsoring the Leopard Gecko Forum. I guess that helps my decision....
 
Marcia, what program did you use to make your avator?

Also i agree, try to pop it. It could get made fun of by ladies and you wouldt want that :rofl: :2hammers:
 
Re: well...

Golden Gate Geckos said:
I'm actually considering pulling my sponsorship over on the KS Leopard Gecko Forum. It is just too frustrating and heartbreaking for me to read and reply over and over again to the same questions, year after year. But ... we ALL probably started over there, and the 'newbies' desperately need a place where they can get answers that could in many cases actually save their gecko's lives! What is the answer?

What is the answer?
I say for starters pull your sponsorship. I go back to almost the beginning days of KS and spent years there, it use to be and awesome place. it went from a place where a lot of people with a lot of knowledge hung out and there was great camaraderie, about maybe...2 years ago? I got really burnt out, the place started going downhill, so I stopped hanging out there (in fact I got tired of being addicted to the internet and did an almost complete exile) but, after getting a new computer I got back online and FC and KS were the first two places I returned. I then started reading all these threads about lawsuits and what seemed to be a dictatorship over there. Still I checked out the forums for a bit, to see if I could help the newbies, but realized it just was no longer worth it. The forums have turned in to garbage. To many people getting banned for stupid reasons, yet they still harbor thieves in their classifieds. I know longer visit there, I do not even check the classifieds anymore.

So personally I think that is the answer. If we all stop going over there, especially to buy from their classifieds, it will eventually stop attracting those newbies that we would like to help. A lot of people complain about how bad it has gotten over there, yet they still go there everyday to see what is for sale, some of the same people that say they can't believe how bad the person has gotten that runs KS, yet they will post an ad here that is from KS and ask about the person, because they are interested in buying. People need to realize that as long as they keep doing that KS will be raking in the advertizing dollars, including from people like Bearded Pets. My hope is that enough people will stop with the hypocrisy, that all the good and ethical breeders all come here (to post and advertize) and that would have the double benifit of helping support this site, as well weeding out the crooks..Bearded pets and their ilk wouldn't last two days advertizing over here.
In additon to supporting this place by posting and using these advertizers, I also made a donation yesterday (though a small one) to put my money where my mouth is.
 
I have never even bothered with the forums personally. I was lucky enough to use fauna first, and after taking a quick gander at the KS forums, never bothered to go back.

I do check the classifieds often though. I think the main reason people browse the classifieds, is because they are so well known and popular. In most cases it seems like their classifieds are more active than the ones here. Though that may not be the case, considering people don't reply directly to the post there, and can here. I much prefer the classifieds here, but because of the KS classified popularity, you do seem to see more offered there.

:shrug01:
 
You all say how KS is so bad... But you oughta be lucky there is a place like that, without it, everyone will come here and ruin it like they did KS. In a way we got lucky that we found a good forum with good people and a place (KS) that will attracht the bad people.
 
Gregg M said:
Is it me or do alot of people not like it over there because of all the inexperianced keepers giving advice like they have been doing this for 15 years...... I would not mind if the advice and info was correct...... I will be the first to admit that I can be a little blunt at times but do people realy need to start a thread about me and my way of putting things LOL???? That leo forum is getting out of hand these days...... Like I said I can be blunt, almost harsh at times but am I all that bad???? LOL.....
Yeah Gregg, you are a mean, mean guy.... Please don't post over THERE anymore... :)

99% of the people that are posting on KS nowadays are nothing but babies! They take the net too personally in my eyes. You can be pretty straight forward in some ways (which could be taken as rude), BUT ALL of us here on fauna know that you mean well... :)

I like having you here man, you make it interesting, and hey, it's their loss right?

PS, Damn, I couldn't find the thread that was revolving around you... :) That would have been a good read for entertainment purposes... LOL!
 
I think that fauna, partly because of its format and core users is less apt to be "ruined". I've seen newbie questions here every so often, and the response, is to refer them to a pre-existing thread on the subject. Also I love the way that threads rise to the top each time someone posts to them. This allows old threads to be resurrected when new developments arise or someone has a new question on the subject and prevents the creation of the "bizillions" of threads asking the exact same question that appear on KS daily. Also those threads that are petty, have a simple answer, or have been previously discussed quickly sink to the bottom. I think that rather than letting the newbies have KS all to themselves we should try to invite them over here. I learned a lot on the KS forums and I was glad to be clued into this place and I think that many of the gecko keepers (not to mention their geckos) would benefit from the information discussed on fauna.
-Alice
 
I feel a little differently...

For me, it's not about who's website is the best, or which format is better, or which site has the most number of hits. The war between KS and Fauna is between Rich and Jeff. Period. It's has nothing to do with me, nor is it any of my business. For me, it's about the geckos we all love and have come together for... regardless of which forum (if any) we choose to post.

I am personally discouraged and disgusted with the way the Leopard Gecko Forum on KS has digressed, and feel much more comfortable here at Fauna for several reasons. However, the KS Classifieds get looked at more, and therefore generates more sales for me. Does it make me a hypocrite because I like to post my ads on KS and hang out here on the Fauna Leopard Gecko Forum? I think not... the two are completely different venues.

I guess my point is, that the 'newbies' NEED a place to get their answers... hopefully the right ones! My bet is that if they all came here, the majority of them would be intimidated and never return, and the rest would be like sponges absorbing as much information as they possibly can! But, I could also bet that the vast majority of the 'regulars' here would not take lightly to helping the newbies out on this forum, either!

My feelings about pulling my sponsorship over at KS are solely based on the level in which my sponsorship is utilized. If nobody ever uses the sponsor links, then why sponsor it? If it is too heartbreaking and frustrating for me to constantly run myself ragged over there answering questions only to be argued with, then why post? It seems to me that my sponsorship is useless.

It's about the beautiful, gentle creatures we all adore... not about the politics, or who's right! I am heartsick over the way these kids are floundering and the leos are the ultimate ones paying the price, and yet whenever I go to post over there I type a few lines and then just give up and log out. I think that is what makes me the hypocrite...
 
Good show!

You said Marcia. I agree wholeheartedely with you. I actually didn't realize that your post would be deleted. Talk about slitting their own throats! Take care Marcia you obviously like me love our little friends! Hopefully those new to leopard geckos will eventually learn and provide the animals with the care they so much deserve. Maybe some will venture over here and pick some of our brains for info as well. :)
 
well marcia you know what I would tell em... but it's even too colorfull for fauna without getting points but its starts with "f" two words and ends in "em"

Squeeze it and see if it pops.

see thats what i was thinking HOWEVER i wont touch it... so what am i supposed to use salad tongs????..... and i got to wear a welding mask incase something shoots out and hits the better of my two crappy eyes. and what if it has just eaten mexican food prior... what if in all my salad tong and welding masked glory do i hear a faint " pppffffttt" as i pop the boil or accidentally push to hard on it's belly (its a button of sorts kinda like the pointer finger, when pulled).....no welding mask in the world will protect me from that.


Good show!

chad, are you british?
 
Back
Top