• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Eggs Good or Bad? (Pictures)

The link for the Liquid Band Aid I provided was only for reference but you should be able to get it at a local store. As far as Super Glue I would be a little concerned about toxins not saying it doesn't work though but it probably doesn't allow the egg to breath at the affected areas.
 
The link for the Liquid Band Aid I provided was only for reference but you should be able to get it at a local store. As far as Super Glue I would be a little concerned about toxins not saying it doesn't work though but it probably doesn't allow the egg to breath at the affected areas.


I have used superglue to glue lizards back together. no joke. It is not toxic. It's the same stuff as liquid band aid just marketed differently.

I have also used liquid bandaid to fix things that I would with super glue. It sticks like a mo fo but is not toxic. Same stuff
 
Well it is done. I went to Wal-mart today and said to myself I would use whatever one I could find first. The pharmacy was closest to the entrance and bamm, right there on the shelf was New-Skin liquid bandage. I put it on the egg today. It smells just like super glue, so Ryan must be on right path... them being the same thing.

This egg is either going to die or survive, but thanks to everyone I at least gave it a try! I will definitely let everyone know the verdict either way... even if I do end up with a 3 headed snake :)

THANKS AGAIN!
 
I work in a hospital as an x-ray tech, I used to be an er tech and I can tell you right now that liquid bandaid and superglue are the same. Crazy glue is a bit different.
 
Egg update 4/24/11... cut it away?

I will post a picture tomorrow (away from my camera right now), but the update doesn't look so good. I did do the liquid bandage on the "wet leaking" area of the egg. The truth is that area now looks relatively good when compared to the rest. The lower part is starting to turn a bright lite green color. Not a dark green mold color but lite green. In addition the egg is starting to shrink.

Perhaps a really small 3 headed snake is on its way.

I bought an Xacto knife. I think the egg is headed south. If so I was going to consider cutting it "away" from other eggs. I image it will be messy, but don't see an advantage of leaving it there...maybe passing green stuff to the other two eggs.

The other two eggs "attached" to it look great.

Any thoughts? Leave it and wait, or cut it away??? Thanks Robert
 
Definately leave it if it still has veins. All you have to do is place a smaller flashlight directly on top of the egg and you will either see veins or not. Just check and let us know.
 
Green Egg (Picture)

Okay, here is the picture of the green egg. I did the candling thing with the flash light, and YES there are veins in the egg that I can clearly see.

Boy... green egg (& ham) & veins???

Thanks,
Robert
 

Attachments

  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 107
Wow look at all the pretty colors. Well it definately needs to be sprinkled with anti fungal powder but yeah if you see veins don't kill the egg by cutting it off the rest. It also looks like it is dimpling more than it should be. You need to put more water in the substrate so the humidity goes up. How many days have they been in there now? Also don't open the container any more that required so the humidity stays high.
 
Thanks Dustin for the help.

Any advice on an anti-fungal brand. Are we just talking athletes foot powder?

The eggs have been in incubation for exactly 2 weeks now. I originally put them in with a equal water to vermiculite weight ratio. I never once have seen condensation in the inside of the container, not once. I originally put 1/8" hole on each end of the sterilite box for ventilation.

I put about 1 cup of extra water in the vermiculite today.

I know the weight ratio was exact since I used my scale to do it. So I am not sure why I would not have good humidity build up in the container other then the small hole on each end of the container?
 
It just evaporates sometimes, its not too big of a deal but I ended up having to put a whole 20oz water bottle added to my eggs because they looked like your original eggs with the little dimples on them but the green egg looks like its collapsed a little. Check and see how the cup of water helps them and yes any athletes foot powder should work fine.
 
Last season I had one bad egg in a clutch. of course they were all stuck together. I pondered cutting it away, but decided against it. I had not heard of anti fungals until this thread, so the egg sat with the rest of the clutch and slowly molded away until the rest of the clutch hatched. The mold will not spread to healthy eggs ( I was suprised when I heard this as well, but it proved true ) Cutting it away might require removing the eggs and a lot of manipulation and quite a bit of a mess, possibly getting ther other eggs wet and messy in the process. If it were me I would leave them attached. Best in luck whatever you do. I have a clutch in the incubator right now with at least 2 infertile eggs attached that are already starting to collapse. Unfortunately they all can't be good clutches.
 
Thanks again Dorsey & Dustin for the input.

I did put anti-fungal spray on the green egg about an hour ago. The other two eggs look just fine, so I will let them "all" incubate and see what happens.

I am happy to learn that your egg, though turned out bad, did not affect the others.

Thanks guys!
 
I have used anti-fungal foot powder and liquid bandage to save eggs. I do believe your green egg is a goner. I would leave it just in case though. If it hardens, it is definitely a bad egg. Keep it sprinkled with the antifungal powder and it won't affect the other eggs. And the powder helps cut down on maggots and flies.
 
Back
Top