• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

OMG! Going Downhill FAST!

SPJ

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2002
Messages
7,046
Reaction score
240
Points
63
Age
57
Location
Seymour, CT
He was at the vet last week because of a swelling on the top of his head.
This is him when I took him to the vet. You can see there is a bump so I brought him in to get checked. That was on 8/30/08
bump.jpg

They did a needle biopsy and the fluid was more like a mucus so they were not sure if it was really an abcess. They did a cytology and aerobic culture.
The reults came back on 9/3/08.

Cytology results of the 5 slides were:

Microscopic Description: Cellularity was moderately high with a small amount of blood. Cells were a mixture of heterophils, lymphocytes and azurophils. Mixed bacteria were observed. No cellular atypia suggestive of neoplasia was evident.

Cytological Interpretation: Septic inflamation.

Comments: Culture results will be helpful to determine appropriate antibiotic therapy.

The culture results showed 3+ gram negative rods and 3+ aeromomas species.

Treatment was prescribed as 0.08 ml of Fortaz injected IM every 3 days for a total of 10 injections.


Now for the OMG part. Here he is today on 9/8/08.
worse.jpg

I just got back from the vet again. They have no idea what is going on now since he has blown up so much in such a short amount of time. He has also lost 50 grams in the past week and his skin is flaking.
I have been told by the vet to contact Dr. Mayer at Tufts University. No one else in the state would be able to help at this point. A highly skilled specialist is now needed and the Fortaz may be ineffective.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO HIM?!
 
kellysballs said:
What are you going to do?
Continue the Fortaz injections and attempt to get in to see Dr. Mayer.
I'm already past the $500 mark for treatment so far. Might as well add to that with a trip to a vet a few states away. :(
 
Good Lord Steve, I have never seen anything like that, let alone happen so fast.....I don't know what to suggest.
 
TheFragginDragon said:
Good Lord Steve, I have never seen anything like that, let alone happen so fast.....I don't know what to suggest.
You're not alone. The vet called in 2 others at the hospital and a tech. No one can figure out what is going on and why is spread so fast.
Looks like the bee is on hold indefinitely now.
Money needs to go to finding out what is wrong with this guy.
 
Steve, out of curiosity, where did they give the injections of Fortaz, at the site or other? I'm just wondering if he's having a reaction to it. I wish you the best of luck paisano.
 
Wow. I'd guess that it's fluid buildup from whatever the lump is. Maybe there is a sinus that has ruptured to under the skin? Then the fluid from the infection would be pushed to under the skin? Manipulating the lump for the biopsy, and the injecting of the needle for the biopsy maybe made a path to between the skin layers.
Can they attempt to drain it?
Good luck. I'll watch for updates.
 
TheFragginDragon said:
Steve, out of curiosity, where did they give the injections of Fortaz, at the site or other? I'm just wondering if he's having a reaction to it. I wish you the best of luck paisano.
The injections are going into the muscle. Roughly half an inch from his backbone on the side and a littel less than a third of his ody length down from his head. They are not be given near the site of the original inflammation (or his head for that matter).
 
Wolfy-hound said:
Can they attempt to drain it?
We discussed draining it today. The vet felt that since it is not a normal abcess and the fluid is a sticky mucus like stuff, it would be very difficult to do and may not even help but could cause more damage so for now, I am continuing the injections, keeping him on newspaper isolated from everyone else, and have the tstat set to the highest range of temps (95 hot side and 85 cool side).
 
So they have no idea the make-up of this mucus like material? It is not actual mucus correct? No an excess from an RI that has found a way to get into the skin? It seems strange that a fluid causing that kind of swelling would have that consistency, usually it is thin almost water like with pockets of pus. Had he shown any signs of another ailment before the lump on his head? Could he have been rubbing his head, received a small cut and bacteria enter it to cause a horrible inflammation and infection?
 
Gosh, Steve, I hope you find out what that is and a treatment for it. He looks so miserable. I bet you are too.

Keeping fingers (and toes) crossed for both of you.
 
Manipulating the lump for the biopsy, and the injecting of the needle for the biopsy maybe made a path to between the skin layers
That was my first guess - that it was contained until they messed with it, and poked a hole in it...now it is spreading.
Somehow, I continue to be surprised to see Fortaz prescribed as a sole treatment. Not that it isn't a good drug by itself, but because the response is often so much better when it is administered with an aminoglycoside. It's also got a seriously limited shelf life once reconstituted, and it seems that information is never passed along.
 
hhmoore said:
That was my first guess - that it was contained until they messed with it, and poked a hole in it...now it is spreading.
Somehow, I continue to be surprised to see Fortaz prescribed as a sole treatment. Not that it isn't a good drug by itself, but because the response is often so much better when it is administered with an aminoglycoside. It's also got a seriously limited shelf life once reconstituted, and it seems that information is never passed along.
3 months if FROZEN is all you get out of it.
24 hours if at room temp.
The shelf life for this stuff is very short once you mix it.
 
hhmoore said:
that it was contained until they messed with it, and poked a hole in it...now it is spreading.
Great minds think alike. :rofl:
Thi sis what I think happened as well. They didn't know what it was, started poking around in there, and now it spread all over.
Less than a week to blow up like that? Way too fast IMO.
 
Wow! Steve, Have you contacted any of the big breeders for there opinions? They may know more then your vet does? Best of luck Man!!
 
jasballs said:
Wow! Steve, Have you contacted any of the big breeders for there opinions? They may know more then your vet does? Best of luck Man!!
I'm beginning to think EC knows more than my vet at this point. :rofl: :rofl:
 
Back
Top