• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Why do people....... More.....

I really don't think we know enough to say reptiles do not feel emotions. Now Gregg, whether or not you think this sounds stupid I am going to say it. Our scientists do not know very much about the brain. They obviously do know however that certain parts of the brain USUALLY control emotions. Now what if, reptiles a much more primitive sect of the animal kingdom had a more primitive one. Something that could have small connections and process certain feelings and controls as well as emotions in just one location? Maybe they are missing the part that controls emotions, simply because there brain is to simple & the emotions they feel are to simple to even need a specialized part. Rather it is enabled in the part that contains instinct/actions?? Keep in mind, only birds surpass reptiles as to being closer to the Dinosaurs on the evolutionary chain.......
 
I read that reptiles are not related to dinos at all. seeing that reptiles and amph were on earth at the same time I belive that to be true.
 
who? me? its a common misconception that dinos where reptiles. they still dont know if they where warm or cold blooded. dinos are in a class by themselves not part of reptilian fam.
 
I read that reptiles are not related to dinos at all. seeing that reptiles and amph were on earth at the same time I belive that to be true.
-I remember hearing it on one of those TV shows...lol I will do more research to either prove or disprove my theory. I DO know that dinos were in fact giant reptiles, so wouldn't that relate them pretty well?

I don't understand your logic on that one
-Don't worry about it. I cant type it ALL out on the computer it would get to confusing for me. The logic behind it was, that if an animal with a less developed brain. Less modified and less advanced. That it is a possibility that its emotions could be controlled in the same location as things that are similar to "emotions" but not yet as deep. So the "emotions" a reptile is feeling are in fact very primitive thought patterns - (for sad, happy,..etc). Something that works directly with its instincts and reactions towards a stimuli.......
 
who? me? its a common misconception that dinos where reptiles. they still dont know if they where warm or cold blooded. dinos are in a class by themselves not part of reptilian fam.
-Everything I have read said they were in the reptillian familly....
 
wow you know for a fact that they where reptiles? you sir need the nobell prize for science.
-Yeah I travelled back in time! If I don't get that price soon I am going to overheat!...lol Thats not how I meant it to come out.....
 
didn't understand this logic: "seeing that reptiles and amph were on earth at the same time I belive that to be true"...sorry about the confusion
 
maybe in the 1980s, they are now re tooling everything they thought they knew, in fact on discovery mag they said some dinos aren't even built with bones from the same species. and that many of the skeletons they have are just few pieces of bones and scientists take there best shot at putting the rest together with plastic moldings. the t rex is a good example of a dino that looks alot differnt from what they first thought.
 
many lizards , crocs, turtles, tortoises and sea turtles where around at the same time as dinos. Dinos where in class by them selves. they have hollow bones like birds, not like reptiles.
 
maybe in the 1980s, they are now re tooling everything they thought they knew, in fact on discovery mag they said some dinos aren't even built with bones from the same species. and that many of the skeletons they have are just few pieces of bones and scientists take there best shot at putting the rest together with plastic moldings. the t rex is a good example of a dino that looks alot differnt from what they first thought.
-See I never heard about that. I guess I’ve never really cared much about dinos. I am more into anthropology then dinos.
 
Tripple H Herps said:
-See I never heard about that. I guess I’ve never really cared much about dinos. I am more into anthropology then dinos.

yeah the same can be said about many of the missing link , humanoid thingies they have, one is built just off of a skull cap and 2 teeth they found in a cave.
 
I'll (tentatively) go along with that part - it was the reptiles and amphibians being here at the same time, so reptiles aren't related to dinos...that part through me. hell, that could be an easy way of getting out of those unpleasant family things. I'll let you know how it works
 
they have hollow bones like birds, not like reptiles.
-Thats why I had put bird in front of them..... Still everything I have seen said that dinos were "giant reptiles".... Is it a common misunderstanding? I love to learn new things! Do you have something you can email me over so I can look at it, that would be awesome. I do know that many (mostly not changed) reptiles were around at that time. Take crocodillains as a perfect example.
 
hhmoore said:
I'll (tentatively) go along with that part - it was the reptiles and amphibians being here at the same time, so reptiles aren't related to dinos...that part through me. hell, that could be an easy way of getting out of those unpleasant family things. I'll let you know how it works

its just on that time period there were many branches on the reptile family tree, and many more on the dinosaur tree even dinos with feathers name one reptile with that. a lot of things aren't facts when you look at drawings of dinos, like all the little scales and stuff like the pointed scales and things like that, most where just the best idea of what they might have looked like. they have a lot of skin imprints now to suggest that they had more of a leathery skin like that of a rhino then actual scales.
 
Way back when...

Reptiles went a few differnt ways some stayed "reptiles" some evolved into the dinosaurs, some into the mammal like reptiles (forerunners of mammals). Not all dinosaurs are related to birds . There was a subset to them, however, that were (the bird like dinosaurs, I remember this including the tricerotops (sp?) and the bipedal carnivors (raptors actually had feathers) and the forerunners of birds.

The birds / dinosaurs diverged from reptiles a lot later than mammals so birds are still not too far from reptiles.

-Alice

I could go through my old textbooks and nail down the facts... but, that sounds like work :erm:
 
Tripple H Herps said:
-Thats why I had put bird in front of them..... Still everything I have seen said that dinos were "giant reptiles".... Is it a common misunderstanding? I love to learn new things! Do you have something you can email me over so I can look at it, that would be awesome. I do know that many (mostly not changed) reptiles were around at that time. Take crocodillains as a perfect example.

I belive they first started finding dino bones in the pionering days like late 1800s early 1900s. no carbon dateing , no dna, no xrays things like that. and dinosaur actualy means thunder lizard. its just the majority of information out is old information. Ill dig up the book I bought and send you some stuff out of it. their is no solid proof ether way, they might be big lizards. but from what i read the large plant eaters like brontosaurs ,brontosaur ect would protect the young as a pack with the babies traveling in the center. they have found fossil foot prints that support this. what reptiles you know behave like that?
 
I belive they first started finding dino bones in the pionering days like late 1800s early 1900s. no carbon dateing , no dna, no xrays things like that. and dinosaur actualy means thunder lizard. its just the majority of information out is old information. Ill dig up the book I bought and send you some stuff out of it. their is no solid proof ether way, they might be big lizards. but from what i read the large plant eaters like brontosaurs ,brontosaur ect would protect the young as a pack with the babies traveling in the center. they have found fossil foot prints that support this. what reptiles you know behave like that?
-Nile crocodiles are known for protecting there offspring long after they hatch. Stay with the nest, dig them out. And hide the hatchlings in her mouth in case of danger. Similare to that of a fish.
 
Back
Top