• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Why do people....... More.....

aliceinwl said:
Way back when...

Reptiles went a few differnt ways some stayed "reptiles" some evolved into the dinosaurs, some into the mammal like reptiles (forerunners of mammals). Not all dinosaurs are related to birds . There was a subset to them, however, that were (the bird like dinosaurs, I remember this including the tricerotops (sp?) and the bipedal carnivors (raptors actually had feathers) and the forerunners of birds.

The birds / dinosaurs diverged from reptiles a lot later than mammals so birds are still not too far from reptiles.

-Alice

I could go through my old textbooks and nail down the facts... but, that sounds like work :erm:

key word is old text book. the majority or reptile back then were no larger then they are today, a few giants, but most were small. In an evolution stance I have no idea, I belive that their was a mass extinction and not evolution into birds. their where also mammels at the time of dinosaurs.
 
Funny you should mention brontosaurus...I'm pretty sure they are a dino that never existed! I believe they put the head of an apatosaurus on a brachiosaurus body and called it a brontosaurus...lol I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that's true...
 
Tripple H Herps said:
-Nile crocodiles are known for protecting there offspring long after they hatch. Stay with the nest, dig them out. And hide the hatchlings in her mouth in case of danger. Similare to that of a fish.

ah good point, but they do not protect the babies as a herd, in fact others niles will make a snack out of anothers babies . but the way crocs watch over babies is a key to why they have been around so long.
 
Tokay geckos are known for protecting their eggs and offspring.
 
StinaUIUC said:
Funny you should mention brontosaurus...I'm pretty sure they are a dino that never existed! I believe they put the head of an apatosaurus on a brachiosaurus body and called it a brontosaurus...lol I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that's true...


you may be right, i havent heard that yet, but i said in an earlier post alot of this is being reported now.
 
leaftail said:
Tokay geckos are known for protecting their eggs and offspring.

really I have never heard of that. thats pretty cool. as with the crocs i think another tokay would love to much them down though.
 
I could point out some humans who don't protect their offspring....
 
Jim...ALL crocodilian females protect their offspring...nile crocs, american alligators, caimen...you name it, they protect their offspring! If you doubt it go try and nab some babies or eggs...hehe Also males will protect their females. If you agitate an adult female, watch out for the male coming to attack you!
 
ah good point, but they do not protect the babies as a herd, in fact others niles will make a snack out of anothers babies . but the way crocs watch over babies is a key to why they have been around so long.
-Finally a thread on fauna that actually interests me! All the others bore me, no real topic and nothing up for discussion. I do beleive that the protection of there offspring was key to there survivale. Though they did change in evelution, it was VERY little. That infact is one of the main reasons I like many crocodilain species. That and the fact that they were built almost perfect. Can survive a year with only one meal, jumping to 6-10ft, and running (I think 30mph???), Razor sharp jaws, and tremendous snapping pressure.
Jim
 
Vince the brontosaurus thing is actually something that I heard YEARS ago...I don't even remember when...which is why I say I could be wrong...lol I definitely remember hearing it though
 
Stina's right about the brontosaurs. My text books are actually pretty current, I only graduated a couple of years ago, but it feels like it's been ages.
-Alice
 
Jim...ALL crocodilian females protect their offspring...nile crocs, american alligators, caimen...you name it, they protect their offspring! If you doubt it go try and nab some babies or eggs...hehe Also males will protect their females. If you agitate an adult female, watch out for the male coming to attack you!
-I do beleive you, but as I beleive the Nile croc is the only crocodillian who will stay with the offspring for up to two years, I found it to be a better example.
 
Vince said:
really I have never heard of that. thats pretty cool. as with the crocs i think another tokay would love to much them down though.
Yup, you are correct. Tokays have to protect their offspring from other tokays :spectator
 
That's how I first got interested in turtles, on TV I saw this giant turtle skeleton, and it sparked my interest. turtles and tortoises are almost unchanged for millions of years, why mess with perfection!
 
I've read that prehensile tail skinks stay with and protect thier offspring for quite a while.
-Alice
 
aliceinwl said:
I've read that prehensile tail skinks stay with and protect thier offspring for quite a while.
-Alice

ah that is true, same with shingle backs. I wonder if the live birth has anything to do with it? I belive it is around 2 years they stick around mommy
 
That's how I first got interested in turtles, on TV I saw this giant turtle skeleton, and it sparked my interest. turtles and tortoises are almost unchanged for millions of years, why mess with perfection!
-That’s the exact way I feel. We are a relatively new species in comparison to some of our reptile companions.
 
i remember on a show they broke it down like this, if the whole life span of the earth from the start untill today was one day , humans came around like 45 seconds ago.
 
i remember on a show they broke it down like this, if the whole life span of the earth from the start untill today was one day , humans came around like 45 seconds ago.
-Lol, thats pretty cool. I am just curious who the poor guy was who had to do the math on all of those species and years!
 
im thinking it was just an educated guess, I dont think they could put a date on the day earth became a real planet. well everyone thanks for the great conversation , i wish this site had more of this!
 
Back
Top