• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

OMG! Going Downhill FAST!

Waiting to see what the outcome of the cutting and draining is.
 
Steve I hope your snake gets well bro..!! I also want to say that the people on fauna are some really cool people.. I've never met a group of people so quick to help a friend in need, and I've been around the block.. I just want to say Steve your a lucky guy to have such a great group of people to call friends.. Sorry about the sappiness of this post but this thread made me step back and say wow..

Alan
 
Still here..

I still stand by my offer to help if needed.. Please keep us posted on how your baby is doing.. Wish you nothing but the best..
 
grunt_11b said:
Steve I hope your snake gets well bro..!! I also want to say that the people on fauna are some really cool people.. I've never met a group of people so quick to help a friend in need, and I've been around the block.. I just want to say Steve your a lucky guy to have such a great group of people to call friends.. Sorry about the sappiness of this post but this thread made me step back and say wow..

Alan
The people on this site are just awesome.
They are what makes Fauna such a great site.
 
Does the draining seem to lesson the amount of swelling? Have they determined a definite diagnosis yet?

I'm pulling for you both. Hang in there.

The draining greatly reduces the swelling. It was drained again because it started to swell at the original site again.

Still no definitive diagnosis but it is resistant to almost every antibiotic out there. They have been growing lots of this stuff lately in the lab though.:rofl:
 
The draining greatly reduces the swelling. It was drained again because it started to swell at the original site again.

Still no definitive diagnosis but it is resistant to almost every antibiotic out there. They have been growing lots of this stuff lately in the lab though.:rofl:

Steve,
Have they mentioned anything about a gram stain of the organism? Also, have you seen any culture and sensitivity results?
 
Steve,
Have they mentioned anything about a gram stain of the organism? Also, have you seen any culture and sensitivity results?

This is what I have been given on it so far.

Cellularity was moderately high with a small amount of blood. Cells were a mixture of heterophils, lymphocytes and azurophils. Mixed bacteria were observed. No cellular atypia suggestive of neoplasia was evident.

The culture results showed 3+ gram negative rods and 3+ aeromomas species.

The sensitivity showed Fortaz would be effective but more common antibiotics such as Baytril would be ineffective.
 
Again..

I wish you nothing but the best... I keep you in my thoughts.. But if it comes down to it my promise of contributing still stands... If that is what you decide.

Thinking of you both!
Patty Crooker
 
This is what I have been given on it so far.

Cellularity was moderately high with a small amount of blood. Cells were a mixture of heterophils, lymphocytes and azurophils. Mixed bacteria were observed. No cellular atypia suggestive of neoplasia was evident.

The culture results showed 3+ gram negative rods and 3+ aeromomas species.

The sensitivity showed Fortaz would be effective but more common antibiotics such as Baytril would be ineffective.

Well, that report isn't super specific, but the fact that it's gram negative rods and aeromonas sp. tells me a little bit. However, both are usually covered really well by fluoroquinolones (Baytril is a FQ), so it's kind of weird that it would be resistant to Baytril. It would be nice if they could have obtained a little more accurate culture result...

Have you started Fortaz yet? If so, how many days has he been on it?

Also, was the drainage thick, and caseous, or was it more liquid?
 
Sorry Steve...I just went back and read your initial post again. It's been long enough that I had forgotten that initial info. ;)


So, a better way to ask my last question would be...what day of treatment is he on?
 
Well, that report isn't super specific, but the fact that it's gram negative rods and aeromonas sp. tells me a little bit. However, both are usually covered really well by fluoroquinolones (Baytril is a FQ), so it's kind of weird that it would be resistant to Baytril. It would be nice if they could have obtained a little more accurate culture result...

Have you started Fortaz yet? If so, how many days has he been on it?

Also, was the drainage thick, and caseous, or was it more liquid?

Already started the Fortaz. He has had 5 injections so far (they are once every 3 days).
The liquid was thick, kinda like a mucous.
I have had 3 vets now dealing with this and none of them have been able to give me any type of conclusive answer as to what is going on.
 
Has it only been the thick fluid, or has any particulate matter come out too?

I'm not a vet, but I been sharing this with mine a little. He asked the same question as Jay did pretty much.
 
Has it only been the thick fluid, or has any particulate matter come out too?

I'm not a vet, but I been sharing this with mine a little. He asked the same question as Jay did pretty much.

No particulate matter. Little bit of blood and mucusy stuff but it was clumpy (and just downright gross).
He is on day 16 of treatment.
 
These may help.


CCI09182008_00000.jpg


CCI09182008_00001a.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top