SPJ
Well-known member
Waiting to see what the outcome of the cutting and draining is.

The people on this site are just awesome.grunt_11b said:Steve I hope your snake gets well bro..!! I also want to say that the people on fauna are some really cool people.. I've never met a group of people so quick to help a friend in need, and I've been around the block.. I just want to say Steve your a lucky guy to have such a great group of people to call friends.. Sorry about the sappiness of this post but this thread made me step back and say wow..
Alan
Anything new happening? Some good news I hope?
He had to be opened and drained again today.
He had to be opened and drained again today.
Does the draining seem to lesson the amount of swelling? Have they determined a definite diagnosis yet?
I'm pulling for you both. Hang in there.

The draining greatly reduces the swelling. It was drained again because it started to swell at the original site again.
Still no definitive diagnosis but it is resistant to almost every antibiotic out there. They have been growing lots of this stuff lately in the lab though.![]()
Steve,
Have they mentioned anything about a gram stain of the organism? Also, have you seen any culture and sensitivity results?
This is what I have been given on it so far.
Cellularity was moderately high with a small amount of blood. Cells were a mixture of heterophils, lymphocytes and azurophils. Mixed bacteria were observed. No cellular atypia suggestive of neoplasia was evident.
The culture results showed 3+ gram negative rods and 3+ aeromomas species.
The sensitivity showed Fortaz would be effective but more common antibiotics such as Baytril would be ineffective.
Well, that report isn't super specific, but the fact that it's gram negative rods and aeromonas sp. tells me a little bit. However, both are usually covered really well by fluoroquinolones (Baytril is a FQ), so it's kind of weird that it would be resistant to Baytril. It would be nice if they could have obtained a little more accurate culture result...
Have you started Fortaz yet? If so, how many days has he been on it?
Also, was the drainage thick, and caseous, or was it more liquid?
Has it only been the thick fluid, or has any particulate matter come out too?
I'm not a vet, but I been sharing this with mine a little. He asked the same question as Jay did pretty much.